Friday, August 28, 2009

Looking back

I was scrolling through the 8,000 pictures I have stored in iPhoto this evening and was struck by this one. This was Jakin's first Christmas play at our old church in December 2004. Almost five years ago. Jakin looks so young compared to the boy he is now. December 2004. We had two kids. Jack still worked for the Navigators and had few thoughts of ever doing anything else. Neither Jack nor I had gray hairs. Now here we are with four kids, a second post-Nav career change and more than one gray hair on each of our heads. Looking at the picture is confusing. It makes me feel old. Well, oldish. Many many MANY people with hair grayer than mine have clucked the familiar admonition at me, "Oh, enjoy this time with your young children! It goes so fast!" Time doesn't always feel like it's going fast when, for example, I'm in the middle of rinsing out puke-laden sheets at 4:30am (as I did just last night). But, I guess I have enough gray up there to acknowledge that all of those folks really do know what they are talking about. Five years ago! Are you kidding me? Just one more bit of whimsy while I'm at it... I really enjoy walking this road with Jack.

No comments: