Friday, October 9, 2009

Two years ago

On this day two years ago, I had surgery to repair my ruptured achilles tendon. Although it was a long and often difficult road to recover from that injury, I found reasons to be grateful. First, I was grateful that I wasn't pregnant or caring for a baby who needed to be carried at the time. I had crutches for weeks and needed Jakin to carry my cereal bowl to and from the table in the morning. Carrying a baby would have been impossible. If you do the math, I have been pregnant or caring for a little one for about 7 of the past 9 years. So, the fact that I wasn't is indeed notable. Second, I was grateful that workman's comp covered every bill incurred by this accident (if this story is new to you, I was coaching volleyball at the time of the rupture). Two days before the accident, Jack had begun his business and our adventures in self-employment. While I was still sitting on the floor of the gym, I was thinking, "How are we going to pay for all of this?" I am a pragmatist, after all. Today, I am grateful that I can walk. And run. And carry my 8-month old daughter. I'm sure that I take these blessings for granted some days. Not today.

No comments: