Friday, July 2, 2010

Mother's Day/Father's Day

When asked what gift I might like for Mother's Day, my response is always the same: a nap. I usually take naps on Sunday afternoon, but there's something different about the Mother's Day nap. I don't feel guilty even if I sleep for 3 hours. I love the nap.

Jack, on the other hand, chose to run a half marathon up Mt Greylock for Father's Day. While I was napping on Sunday afternoons, he was doing long trail runs to train for this race. I knew he was pretty serious about it when he checked with me a week before the race to make sure the clothes he wanted to wear would be clean on race day. That, and all of those 2 hour training runs. His hard work paid off. His 2:16 time was good enough for 23rd place (out of 157 finishers!). And all of the driving around the kids and I did to cheer him on worked out perfectly as well - we saw him within 2 minutes of arriving at both destinations. whew!

After the run, Jack did enjoy laying on the couch and reading the paper for the rest of the day. But, I don't think he napped.







The day was super hot. Jack's time included a stop at every stream, brook, puddle, or drinking fountain he saw along the way. There was a little pond just short of the finish line. He said he didn't think he would be able to cross the finish line without turning right to soak himself first. He managed to hold off, but he did enjoy cooling off with Lauren as soon as he finished the race.

1 comment:

hamilton family said...

Jack and Mary Beth,

Every time I read your blog I want to move my family to the North East and just follow you guys around.

Building your own home.

Awesome crew of kids!

Its cool to see a little what's been going on since you left Fort Collins.

Nice work on the half marathon by the way! I've been on a mission to get back into legitimate shape but have been set back by injuries.

Jack, would love to catch up sometime.

Hope you guys are well.

Nick