Thursday, January 24, 2013

Family Christmas

 So, I'm a little behind..... Without apologizing for that, I'll just carry on with the post.  Because we do a crazy travel loop for Christmas (to Ohio and North Carolina, neither of which are states we live near....), we typically celebrate our family Christmas early, before we travel.  For some reason that I don't understand and can't fix, these pictures aren't in the order I attempted to post them.  Anyway, the photo above is the kids with the handmade gifts they made for each other.  Very sweet.

Our tradition, passed down from my family, is that our kids have to wait on the steps until they hear a bell.  Then they can come down for Christmas.  Jack and I, of course, like to torture them by making coffee and piddling around doing other unnecessary things while they squawk at us from the steps.  I included this next picture because I think I took the same picture last year in the hopes that the scene would look very different this year.  And it does!  Paint on the walls, on the steps, finished hardwood treads, finished trim.  Progress!

This is the shot from "Christmas Eve".  The picture is horrible - it makes my eyes hurt to look at it because it's so blurry - but I include it because it's such a happy time.  It is such a joy to shop for my kids and to prepare for Christmas.  And I think stuffing their stockings might be my absolute favorite parenting moment of each year.  It's just so precious.

A ski goggle Christmas.  I totally guessed on Jack's.  Thankfully, he loves them!

These Nordic jackets were one of the boys favorite gifts.  And they were a pleasure to give.  Our cross country ski program starts at the beginning of December.  Many of the kids that my kids ski with were wearing new coats at the start of the program.  I knew we would wait to give these jackets until Christmas.  I was so proud of the boys for not complaining or begging.  The closest they came to anything like envy was to declare (talking about the new club jackets), "Those jackets are reeeeallllly nice.......".  They were so excited to receive their own jackets and they've hardly stopped wearing them for the past six weeks. 

Precious times with my littlest

The boys got a balance board for Christmas.  Another hit!

Hats for Jack and me (didn't he pick out a pretty one for me?!)

New clothes, new toys

Annie posing with her new clothes and accessories

After opening gifts, we enjoyed a hike in the woods behind our house.  I'm still amazed and continually thankful that we can enjoy this kind of hike without even getting into the car.  It's our backyard!  Although we had been wanting snow, we enjoyed the beautiful day without it.

I don't usually get to be in the pictures!




Notice the carnage?  But Jack is doing what he should be doing on "Christmas" - reading his new book.


1 comment:

Lauren said...

I love the ones of you & Aiden in the woods!! Also love to hear about your traditions and to see the house progress in the background of the photos :). It's looking so good.