Saturday, March 31, 2012

Big rocks, little rocks

This pile of rocks has been in our front yard since we moved in almost a year and a half ago. I've never liked it, but I didn't have any idea what we were ever going to be able to do with it. Our village public works department has solved that problem, both to our benefit and to theirs. You can sort of see an old rock retaining wall behind our pile of rocks. That's supporting the road and it needed to be secured. We happened to have a pile of rocks available for just such a project! The public works department asked if they could use our rocks to strengthen the wall. "Uhhhh, yes please."



After a day of work, there was already significant progress. The men working were very particular about where they put each rock.



The end result is a beautiful rock wall that spans the entire length of our front yard. This new retaining wall will certainly do its job. And these rocks now enhance our landscaping rather than create an eyesore. I'm not sure who got the better end of this deal. I think it's a draw. Truly a solution that benefits both parties. Cool, huh?



I keep looking outside, almost in disbelief. I can't believe that this wall is really there. I love it!


While the new rock wall was being constructed in the front yard, our stone mason was coincidentally here at the same to wrap the stone around the foundation in the front of the house. It will be nice to get this project finished up. I love what this stone (all from our property) adds to the house.




No comments: