Saturday, March 17, 2012

Something new

The chicken revolution has made it to our home. Jack and I have been kind of sort of talking about maybe getting chickens someday. I think I've been pretty content with just talking about the idea. When Jack recently brought home a few books about raising chickens, I knew he was getting serious. He flew through the books and began to interview people in our lives who know about chickens. And then on Thursday, he came home with six 2-day old chicks. Here we go.

I'm not sure how I'm going to like these ladies. I haven't had a pet since I was about 3 years old. (My brother was allergic to the dog and cats we had. I vividly remember wondering why we couldn't get rid of the brother instead of the pets. Despite losing the pets for which I must have had at least some affection, I spent a very contented childhood without pets. And it was nice to have a brother!) I'm not anticipating loving these birds in the way that some people love the animals around their house. In fact, when I think about coordinating chicken care for the times we travel, it makes me grumpy about this new addition to our family. On the other hand, there must be some reason why the chicken revolution has come to be. I suppose some people really do like chickens. And I suppose that could happen to me. The kids are certainly enjoying them. Annie and Jakin were the first to dive in a start holding the chicks. Corban was much more tentative at first, but now spends as much time staring at the playing with the chicks as his siblings. Anyway, without further adieu..... I'm pleased to introduce....

Spot, JoJo, Fiester, Athena, Pop, and Chippy! And I'm very proud to say that not only do I know which is which, but I've even held them.










No comments: